If you’ve got a number of APIs working at the same time, to keep your business running smoothly, you need something that throttles your traffic, monetizes your applications and monitors your security - and that’s exactly what you get with our API Gateway.
Our solution acts as an entry point for all your APIs and:
- Enforces API publishers’ policies
- Validates subscriptions
- Collects useful metrics
- Controls pre-determined quotas
The best bit? You don’t need coding. You don’t need to customize it. And you manage it all in one place; your Publisher Portal.
On the Radar: DigitMarketTM Offers Digital Ecosystem Enablement in One Package
British Telecom (BT) reduced partner onboarding time by 95% using a centralized API development approach implemented by Torry Harris
- Bulk policy enforcement (via the Publisher Portal)
- Easy authorization and authentication
- Automatic quota alerts
- Configure your own custom thresholds
- Sales metrics hand-delivered in your reports
- Manage traffic and API spikes with no fuss
- Schema validation and token management
- Built-in subscription validation and auto-renewal facility
- Set usage quotes, rate limits, and request time-outs
- Event-driven patterns implement gateways with high concurrencies
DigitMarketTM API Gateway?
Scalability Made Simple
Our gateway supports OpenAPI and custom-based HTTP models and breaks all requests down into events that can be processed in parallel, so you’ll never fall victim to the bottleneck effect.
How this looks in practice?
In theory, this leaves you with infinite scalability options; your hardware is the only limit.
Unlimited and Exclusive Options
Modeled on multi-gateway architecture, our solution allows you to create as many gateways as you like. Either create a new instance yourself (northbound mode) or let your customers set-up one of their own (southbound mode), but keep control with the northbound’s visibility settings - for partners, internal, and external developers, etc. to set-up exclusive, on-demand gateways.
Automatic Threshold Management
With built-in auto-scale capabilities, our gateway easily copes with limit breaches by automatically cloning a new gateway and attaching it to the cluster - all without you lifting a finger!
Providing you configure “auto-scaling” in the target Cloud environment (private, AWS, or otherwise) our API Gateway is always horizontally scalable.
Flexibility and Choice at Hand
We understand you’ll want to keep sensitive, customer information on-site, but that non-sensitive APIs are okay on the hybrid cloud, for example. So, we created our gateway in a way that allows a central management interface to control all your instances for you - so you can get on with the rest of your day.
By combining our market-leading DigitMarketTM API Gateway with our API Developer Portal and Publisher Portal, you’ll arm your business with a complete API management solution that:
- Accelerates and revolutionizes your digital transformation programme
- Benchmarks success for the rest of your industry
Integration – key to Three Ireland’s successful API-driven transformation
Three Ireland decided to use its merger with Telefonica O2 as an opportunity to run a modernization initiative alongside the consolidation and rationalization of two different brands, over a 3-year period, driven by Torry Harris.
APIs vs. ROI (Part 1 of 3) – with Randy Heffner, VP & Principal Analyst, Forrester Research
How should you approach API Management investments to realize RoI? In this Q&A, Randy Heffner discusses gaps in API Management solutions and what enterprises should seek when planning their API Management initiatives. He talks about factors to consider for managing internal APIs Vs external APIs, for new ways of thinking about your business-as-a-Platform.
What is DigitMarketTM API Manager (DM-APIM)?
Our API Management product, DigitMarketTM API Manager (DM-APIM) is a complete package to help manage your APIs and turn them into tools that propel your business forward. It has four components that work in unison to provide the following basic runtime functionality:
The API Publisher Portal
This portal allows API publishers to configure the APIs, API packs, usage plans, usage policies, etc. Key features include:
- Create secure API proxies
- Create API packs from multiple APIs
- Advanced Policy library with the facility to share policies across multiple APIs
- Workflow/approval cycles on policy lifecycle
- Configure transformations at API and resource levels
- Ability to create multiple usage plans with a different set of runtime policies for each plan. For instance, Basic, Gold, Silver, Platinum, etc.
- Ability to selectively deploy and manage plans on different API gateway runtime instances from a single screen
- Near-real-time statistics visualization
- Advanced and highly granular role-based access control for all features - API visibility, management, publishing, and consuming
The API Developer Portal
The Developer Portal helps developers discover, explore, try out and subscribe to the publishers’ APIs. The publisher can tailor the appearance of the developer portal as per their needs. Key features include:
- Developer self-registration
- Ability to search and navigate the API developer portal with the same user experience of an online store; with a clear listing of most popular APIs, What's new, API price, description, etc.
- Facility to manage the subscriptions through an easy-to-use interface
- The ability for internal and external developers and API providers to quickly view statistics of their API usage
- Facility for API providers to easily expose/create APIs by proxying existing endpoints and attaching policy templates
- Help/support ticket system built-in for API developers to report issues, bugs, etc.
The API Gateway
The API gateway enforces the policies defined by the publishers, validates the subscriptions, collects metrics, and enforces quotas. The API management gateway is configured and managed using the publisher portal. No coding or customization is required. Key features include:
- The event-driven paradigm used to implement the API gateway, easily achieving high concurrencies
- Policy enforcement (details of each policy is described in our answer to the next question)
- Cluster-wide policy enforcement
- Quota overrun alerts with configurable threshold
- Transaction recording for analytics
- Multi-gateway runtime architecture to support isolation of high-traffic, high-volume APIs. Configuration and management is central though
- Subscription validation and auto-renewal facility
OAuth Authentication Server
The OAuth authorization server is a software system that implements network protocol flows that allow a client software application to act on behalf of a user. Key features include:
- Token management
- Supports OAuth custom grant types
What happens when the API Gateway encounters heavy traffic?
The gateway architecture supports very high concurrency as it is significantly different from traditional HTTP engine architecture. A traditional HTTP engine uses thread pools to handle request-response pairs. Each request is allocated a dedicated thread from the thread pool. Most of the requests involve an external interface, such as a database request or a third-party service call.
When the thread waits for a response from external interfaces, it is idle, as it cannot be re-used to perform other tasks. Each thread consumes operating system resources such as CPU and memory, so there is a physical limitation to the number of threads in a pool to support concurrent requests.
Our microservice gateway is built on Vert. X, which follows a different architectural approach. It uses an event bus instead of a thread pool. Any request that involves waiting for a response is pushed to the event bus and does not consume OS resources. The event resumes asynchronously when a response is received from an external interface. Therefore, there is no wastage of OS resources when HTTP requests are being processed, thereby significantly increasing the concurrency for a very high volume of requests.
The same architecture is used by the security engine to perform OAuth and other policy enforcements, so security-heavy, high-volume transactions are supported without requiring high-end hardware.
Does the API Gateway have the capability to auto-scale?
The API gateway deployment architecture supports “Auto-Scale” capability, where thresholds can be configured for each gateway virtual machine. Once the threshold increases the limits, the system automatically clones a new gateway virtual machine and attaches it to the cluster. The system is horizontally scalable when the “Auto-Scaling” is configured in the target Cloud environment, such as AWS, or on a private Cloud environment such as VM-Ware or OpenStack.
What are the functionalities of the Microservice gateway?
The API gateway component of DigitMarketTM API Manager can function both as a central gateway and multiple instances of microservice gateways. It can be deployed on separate containers/machines and function as a service mesh. The micro gateway instances can be configured and monitored via the common Admin UI of the DigitMarketTM API publisher portal. It supports hybrid management topologies; i.e. central management and distributed management at the same time. No need to worry about hefty API gateway pricing as you can set usage quotas, rate limits, and request time-outs.
digital capability for Pure Planet
Digital Enablement Platform
to integrate over 21 ERPs across 40 countries